Monday, December 26, 2016

The Most Exciting Diaper Change In The World

I never thought I'd see the day where I would get uncontrollably giddy over the prospect of changing a diaper, but there I was, dancing around when the nurse told me I could help. She had her arms in one side of the incubator and helped me, talking me through it, while I did the motions. I felt much more comfortable touching him today and realized that despite his small size, he is quite strong and solid. Of course, Sam peed as soon as I removed his diaper, which I found hilarious.

Another development: he weighs 505 grams, which is 7 grams over his birth weight!! Considering he dropped to 398, this is fantastic news.

He still has bilious fluid coming up in his mouth, but the neonatologist said the volume of fluid was not uncommon or excessive. Hopefully they will start to feed him tomorrow.

They also inserted a PICC line in his arm, which means the umbilical line can come out. It should be removed tonight, which means tomorrow I get to hold him on my chest - something the nurses call "kangaroo care". I am BEYOND EXCITED for this!! I thought it would be months before I got to hold him, but the nurses said that the kangaroo care is incredibly important for preemies, and wanted to start it as soon as possible. I am to wear a shirt that opens in front, and I can choose to take my bra off so that there's no material interference.

The best moment today, in a sea of good news, was the moment when he opened his eyes and looked directly at me.

Not pictured: the direct look

I thought he already had me wrapped around his finger, but seeing his big eyes open melted me into a puddle of goo. It was like magic just swirled around him and erupted into a brilliant explosion of pixie dust. 

Every time I see him I am inspired and proud. 

As Sam continues to fight, so shall I.

No comments:

Post a Comment