Saturday, January 7, 2017

Bigmama Visits & Sam Spam

Happy 3 Week Birthday, Samuel!!

It was the perfect plan. My aunt was taking my grandmother, affectionately known as Bigmama, to a doctor's appointment downtown, and decided to surprise her with a trip to the hospital to see Samuel. We coordinated the time and kept it all a secret until they arrived at the hospital.

I've seen a lot of reactions to my son, but none compare to Bigmama's. She nearly ran to his bedside, and when she laid eyes on him - it was like magic happened. She hollered out and began to cry, her hand clasped tightly over her mouth in awe. I teared up too. I was looking at the first and fourth generation of my family, right there in the same room. She spoke to him the entire time she was there, in her soft Bigmama voice. I was SO happy she got to see her great-grandson, and I know she was happy too. When he comes home from the hospital, my first order of business will be to take him out to the south side to spend the day with her.

 Don't tell her I posted this, she'll kill me

Samuel is gaining weight. He is now at 690 grams, which is about 1 lb 8 oz. He's starting to look bigger and thicker now, too! 

Over the past few days since I've posted, Samuel has done fairly well,with only a few issues. He is having some desaturation problems. The PDA in his heart reopened, so he was given another course of indomethacin to hopefully close it back up. He also was given two different antibiotics, in case infection was causing the desat issues (blood tests came back negative, but the doctor wanted to get ahead of it just in case). Finally, he is receiving an antibiotic in his nose for the MRSA. That course will finish on Tuesday, and then he'll need to have three straight negative results to be taken off isolation. 

They have not resumed feeding yet. I am hopeful that when the rounds of medication are done, they will be able to start. I'm really glad he's still gaining weight despite not eating. 

We are still doing kangaroo care, and though there are good days and not so good days, it's really a wonderful experience for us both. He always looks so cute and comfortable on my chest, and yesterday as I was preparing to put him back in the incubator he stretched both his arms out across my chest and hugged me. 

I have started to speak in Spanish to him sometimes, as much as I can muster. I also hummed some beats from 20XX's recent release, Friday Night Lights, as I held him so he could feel the vibration in my chest. One day, I'll be able to tell Sam stories of hanging with those guys as they made music, watching them make masterpieces out of silence. Hopefully he'll get to spend plenty of time with them before that, learning the ropes of beat making and producing. He really enjoyed it when I hummed to him, so that will likely be a new tradition for us.

It's been a few days, so here is some Sam Spam:

He can be so dramatic sometimes

I like to think he was reaching out to me


Sam's favorite hand rest. Leave that tube alone!


Friendly reminders near his incubator, and the guardian angel Aunt Jami got him


Control hub for all his IVs. Looks like a spaceship command center



I think he was kicking around at this time


Again, with the dramatics


He LOVES laying on his tummy...so cute!

He's growing stronger, longer, and fiercer by the minute! I absolutely love watching him develop and grow, with his own special personality. 

As Sam continues to fight, so shall I.


No comments:

Post a Comment