SAM'S PDA HAS COMPLETELY CLOSED!!!
I could have done cartwheels through the NICU when I found out - though I'm told that sort of physical activity is frowned upon in such small quarters. I did manage to do a dance.
Hopefully his closed PDA will mean less desats, better feeding tolerance, and no need for further medical intervention (which would have possibly included surgery if the medication didn't work).
"Little Boo", as dubbed by one of the nurses (AKA The Head Troublemaker of the NICU), continues making a name for himself by fighting anyone that touches him wrong - or at all. He especially dislikes diaper changes and routine vitals checks.
I think he's having a conversation with himself about the unfairness of being bothered.
I assure you, no harm was done to Samuel in this photo. The nurse wanted to reaffix the holder to his breathing tube. He was not pleased.
I didn't stay long yesterday, but just before I left I got to see something awesome. Sam had a busy hour of dressing change, vitals, diaper change, and repositioning. Then I stuck my hands in the incubator to cradle his head and chest - he loved that, but didn't love it so much when I let go. He kicked and cried for a few minutes until he shoved half his hand into his mouth...and began sucking.
That's right. Sam starting sucking his fingers last night.
He's tuckered out from all those sweet karate moves.
It was amazing to see him calm down from self soothing. I can't believe such a tiny little guy can do so much.
As Samuel continues to fight, so shall I.




No comments:
Post a Comment